First Impression Ministry
Greeters and Ushers are like the fruit of the Spirit. The Bible tells us:
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”
Galatians 5:22 - 23
Greeters and ushers serve visitors, guests, and church family alike, helping each person to find a place that meets their needs, offering a program, a friendly handshake, and a warm welcome. Our purpose is to serve those in attendance and to exemplify the fruit of the Spirit to everyone that enters our doors.
No matter who you are, chances are an usher or a greeter will be the first person you see when you arrive. We want you to know that your presence in worship is our reason for serving and we are glad that you are here. Greeters and ushers are a visible presence, representing the church as an intermediary between the needs of a specific person and the resources available through the church.
An excellent Greeter / Usher is:
- The Church: When people walk into a church for the first time the individual that greets them is, to them, the church. The opinions they are forming of the particular individual who is helping them are the opinions they are forming of the church.
- A Servant: We put ourselves in the position of an attendee. Instead of putting others in their place we put ourselves in their place.
- A Watchman: We watch over the church like a mother hen. We anticipate problems as they come up. We watch for disturbances and quiet them in the quickest most diplomatic way possible.
- Salt: Silent, inconspicuous and sometimes completely unnoticed. But is there in a powerful and useful way.
- City on a Hill: Landmarks to churchgoers who learn to depend upon them.
- Lamp on a Stand: Brings warmth and welcome to all.
Any and all age groups are welcome. Contact Mike Prescott, 918-381-0100, EMAIL Mike, or contact the Church Office, 405-341-0253, if you are interested in participating in this ministry. The church office is available Monday - Thursday from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM and Fridays from 8:00 AM to noon.
Where do I go?
As ushers and greeters, we try to be available to each person as they arrive on our campus, enter our doors, and worship with us. To accomplish this goal we strive to have ushers posted in as many locations on the campus and within the buildings as possible. An usher’s specific location will be assigned based on the needs for each event and worship service.
Meetings are held on an "as needed" basis in order to most successfully plan and implement our goals of being a servant to every person who attends events, worship services, and activities on our campus.
Ushers and Greeters are in attendance at every regularly scheduled Bible study and worship time to serve you, the congregation, and all guests and visitors. When special events occur, the varying schedules of those events require flexibility from us in order to meet the needs of those in attendance.
Special events are always coming to First Baptist Edmond and they provide us with an opportunity to welcome visitors in a warm friendly way so they are interested in making First Baptist Edmond their church home. Up coming special events are announced during our worship service and in our church bulletin.